Number and Percent of Public Schools in
1. 1996-97 was the first year of implementation of the ABCs; only K-8 schools were included in the model for this year.
2. 1997-98 was the first year of implementation of the ABCs in high schools. (Schools whose grades spanned K-12 were included in statistical summaries for both K-8 and high schools, so there is duplication in these counts.)
3. 1998-99 was the first year of the comprehensive application of the ABCs model; there was no duplication of schools in the statistical summary in 1998-99 and 1999-2000. 1998-99 results reflect State Board of Education actions through October 7, 1999.
4. This category was No Recognition in 1996-97, Adequate Performance in 1997-98, and No Recognition in 1998-99 and 1999-2000.
5. Total ABCs Schools is the total number of schools participating in the ABCs for a given year; this total does not reflect the sum of the column; Schools of Excellence and Schools of Distinction are not exclusive categories and may include schools that appear in other categories.
Caution: Comparisons across years should be made with the above footnotes in mind.
|North Carolina Department of
301 N. Wilmington St.
Raleigh, NC 27601