MIDDLE SCHOOL ASSESSMENT ITEMS
Submitted by Rainy Cassetta, Barbara L. Geer, and Tom Shelton, Winston-Salem/Forsyth Schools
Rhythm in Motion
Grade Level or Course:
6th grade General Music (may also be used in Chorus)
Targeted Goals and Objectives from the 2000 North Carolina Arts Education
of Study and Grade Level Competencies, K - 12:
- 4.03-Use a variety of sounds, notational, and technological sources to compose and arrange music.
- 4.04-Show respect for the composing and arranging efforts of others.
- 5.01-Read whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, and dotted note and rest durations in 2/4, 3/4, 4/4/, 6/8, and 2/2 meters.
- 5.04-Identify standard notation symbols for pitch, rhythm, dynamics, tempo, articulation, and expression.
- 5.05-Show respect for the reading and notating efforts of others.
- 6.03-Identify the basic principles of meter, rhythm, and tonality in analyses of music.
- 6.04-Demonstrate auditory perceptual skills by conducting, moving, answering questions about, and describing aural examples of music.
- 7.01-Devise criteria for evaluating the quality and effectiveness of music performances and compositions, and apply criteria in personal listening and performing.
Link with other subjects:
Mathematics, Grade 6-Relate fractions, decimals and percents.
Type of Assessment:
Type of Item:
_ Selected Response
x Written Response
Alignment with NC High School Exit Exam:
4- listen carefully and thoughtfully to understand, record, and synthesize information.
9- analyze information by comparing, contrasting, and summarizing to make
12- organize tasks to accomplish an objective
15- plan logical steps and organize resources to accomplish a task within a given time frame
Using Numbers and Data
26- use relationships among fractions, decimals, and percents to demonstrate understanding of mathematical and scientific concepts
Create a 16-beat rhythm pattern and correctly notate it on paper. Include barlines, time signature and appropriate note values. Be as creative as you would like with your patterns and be sure your final copy is neat and legible. *(See Lesson Plan that aligns with this Assessment Item)
- Correct Written Notation: written portion of final assignment must be correctly notated. Student work must include a 16 beat pattern, barlines, appropriate time signature, correct note values.
- Rhythmic Accuracy-in addition to correct notation, student work must be rhythmically accurate. Rhythmic pattern must utilize appropriate time signature, and varied rhythm combinations.
- Overall Presentation-written portion must be legible. When presenting, rhythms must be performed accurately. Creativity will be considered in overall presentation.
*See Rhythm in Motion Rubric at the end of this item.
Students will need to have completed a unit on steady beat and note values. They will also need to have knowledge of music symbols such as quarter, half, whole, eighth, and sixteenth notes, barlines, and time signatures.
Other related items:
Follow-up activity: After students have completed presentations, the class can combine several students patterns to create a rhythmic "song". The song can be performed with body movements or by using nonpitched percussion instruments. Students can transfer rhythm to pitches, thus creating a melody. The song can be performed on the recorder or keyboard, or with voices.
Rhythm in Motion Rubric
|WHOLE NOTE(4)||DOTTED HALF NOTE(3)||HALF NOTE(2)||QUARTER NOTE(1)|
|Notation||Composition has more than 16 beats, includes barlines, time signature, and correct note values.||Composition has 16 beats, includes barlines, time signature and the correct note values.||Composition has less than 16 beats, and/or does not include barlines, time signature, and correct note values.||Composition is incomplete.|
|Rhythmic Accuracy||Composition utilizes appropriate time signature and creative rhythmic combinations illustrating contrast and repetition.||Composition utilizes appropriate time signature and varied rhythm combinations.||Composition does not utilize appropriate time signature, and does not illustrate varied rhythm combinations.||Composition does not utilize appropriate time signature. Rhythms are incorrect.|
|Overall Presentation||Composition is completely legible, and all rhythms were performed accurately. Composition was presented in an organized and creative way.||Composition is completely legible and all rhythms were performed accurately.||Composition is somewhat legible. Some mistakes in presentation, but an attempt is made.||Composition is not legible, and a presentation was not attempted.|
Notation_______ Rhythm_______ Overall Presentation_______
Total Score_______ (average of all components)