The resources on this page are being aligned with the new North Carolina Healthful Living Essential Standards. Please check back as this page is revised to reflect the most current resources and their alignment.
Please visit the North Carolina Healthful Living Essential Standards wiki: http://hlnces.ncdpi.wikispaces.net/ for links to standards, resources, and instructional tools to support implementation of the NC Healthful Living Essential Standards (2010)
NOTE :: Various file formats are used on this page that may require download. If larger than 1mb, it will take longer to download. For instructions or more information, please visit our download page.
POLICIES AND STATE GUIDELINES - HEALTHY ACTIVE CHILDREN
Healthy Active Children Policy HRS-E-000
- Healthy Active Children Questions and Answers
- Healthy Active Children Policy Resources
- State Board of Education Ad Hoc Committee on Physical Education
2009 HEALTHY YOUTH ACT (HOUSE BILL 88)
Decisions related to professional growth or professional development are individual decisions. The resources provided are informational. Some considerations when selecting professional development or professional growth opportunities may include:
- Have you collaborated with your K – HS Healthful Living Professional Learning Community (comprised of lead elementary Healthful Living teachers, middle school Healthful Living teachers, high school Healthful Living teachers and Directors of Curriculum) to identify professional development needs?
- Does the professional development training or course have a syllabus outlining the specific training modules?
- Does the professional development training or course emphasize best practices in Healthful Living Education curriculum, instruction and assessment?
- Does the professional development training or course allow for application of the learned concepts or strategies within a public school classroom setting?
- Does the professional development training or course provide opportunities to reflect upon existing school district and school site policies?
- Does the professional development training or course, rely on sound research within the specific topic area they are presenting?
- Do the trainers or instructors of the professional development session you are considering: have experience (within the past 5 years) as a Healthful Living Education classroom teacher, expertise within the field of school healthful living education pedagogy, or expertise in one or more healthful living education topic areas?
Resources for Professional Development
Scientifically Research-Based Instructional Materials
"Under the 2009 Healthy Youth Act, local school boards assure that information presented in instruction is free of subjective bias, is based upon studies published in peer reviewed professional journals and is generally accepted by sexual health education professionals . Whether choosing commercially developed instructional support materials or developing teacher-generated instructional materials, consider how they reflect best practices in the field of K – 12 School Health Education such as those outlined by the National Health Education Standard’s Characteristics for Effective Health Education Curricula, the Division of Adolescent and School Health at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the American School Health Association.
Some resources to help identify research-based materials include:
Criteria to Assist with Instructional Material Selection
Reproductive Health and Safety Health Education
General Health Education
- Coordinated School Health Programs (CSHP) and Academic Achievement
- CSHP and Academic Performance example
- Academic Performance and CSHP
- Working with Limited English Proficient (LEP) Students in Physical Education
- Working with Special Needs Students in Physical Education
- Principal's Assessment of Quality Physical Education
- SHAPE America Physical Education Teacher Evaluation Tool
- Move More: North Carolina's Recommended Standards for Physical Activity in Schools
- Health And Physical Education National Standards
LISTSERV AND LINKS
- SHAPE America
- North Carolina Alliance for Athletics, Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Dance and Sport Management (NCAAHPERD-SM)
- CDC's Division of Adolescent School Health
- Eat Smart Move More North Carolina
- North Carolina Healthy Schools
- North Carolina General Assembly homepage
- North Carolina Division of Public Health
- Character Education
- Child Nutrition
- Parents, Family and Community Information