WHAT IS E-RATE?
As a result of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted an Order on May 8, 1997, creating the Schools and Libraries Program of the Universal Service Fund (USF), commonly known as "E(education)-rate." It is one of four support programs funded through a Universal Service fee charged to companies that provide interstate and/or international telecommunications services.
The Schools and Libraries Program supports connectivity - the conduit or pipeline for communications using telecommunications services and/or the Internet.
Funding is requested under four categories of service:
- telecommunications services,
- Internet access,
- internal connections, and
- basic maintenance of internal connections.
Letter from State Superintendent Atkinson Regarding E-Rate Program Modernization
North Carolina's Reply Comments to the E-rate 2.0 NPRM,
by Dr. June Atkinson
E-RATE TRAINING AND SUPPORT SERVICES
Since 1998, North Carolina's schools and libraries have received more than $650 million in E-rate discounts. The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction Connectivity Team offers the following free comprehensive E-rate training and support services to all preK-13 public schools in the state:
- E-mail and telephone support in completing applications and program forms.
- Virtual reviews of applications and program forms.
- E-mail and telephone support in completing Compliance Reviews and Audits.
- Updates and training at conferences and regional meetings.
- Internet updates and information archival via this URL.
- Onsite outreach and training as requested (depending on travel restrictions).
- NC E-rate emails used to communicate updates, newsletters and executive summaries to designated E-rate contacts across the state. To subscribe, e-mail Jeannene Hurley at Jeannene.Hurley@dpi.nc.gov with your name, organization and e-mail address.
- Access to experienced network analysts with working knowledge of the E-rate Program.
- Access to multiple state-level E-rate Specialists for continuity of service and "on-demand" service.
SLD E-RATE NEWS AND GUIDANCE
- The Schools and Libraries Division Official website
- SLD Annual Training Presentations
- SLD Client Service Bureau for E-rate assistance - 888.203.8100.
- SLD Service Provider Training