Welcome Professional Educators!

North Carolina sets the perfect stage for your fresh ideas and enthusiasm. For the past decade, North Carolina has hired approximately 10,000 new teachers who are highly qualified for our 21st century classroom goals. We offer teachers excellent working conditions, an abundance of opportunities for professional growth, competitive salaries and strong support from the NC Department of Public Instruction. With a diverse economy, an emphasis on technology and a superior quality of life, North Carolina has become one of the fastest growing states in the country. We are thrilled that you have chosen to make North Carolina your home!


Online System

Professional educators are able to apply for and update their North Carolina licenses online. Instructions and more information are available within the online licensure system.

Go to the NCDPI Online Licensure System.


Do I Need a NC Professional Educator's License?

Yes! Beginning, Out of State, & International Teachers all need to be licensed by North Carolina.


What are the Professional Educator's License Qualifications?

  • Professional Educator's Initial Licenses are non-renewable and intended for teachers with 0-2 years of teaching experience, and are valid for three years. To be issued a Professional Educator's Initial License, an individual must have:
    • completed a state approved teacher education program from a regionally accredited college or university, or
    • completed another state's approved alternative route to licensure and earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college.
      1. Praxis II Testing - for middle grades (6-9), secondary (9-12), and K-12 (including Exceptional Children: General Curriculum) license areas.
      2. Pearson Testing for North Carolina: Foundations of Reading and General Curriculum - for Elementary Education and Exceptional Children: General Curriculum licenses only.
        • Out-of-state individuals with three or more years of experience who are applying for a NC Elementary Educator or Exceptional Children: General Curriculum teaching license and who have passed another state's licensure exam without mathematics and reading subtests may be issued an initial license. To convert to a NC Continuing license, the individual may enroll in NCDPI's Reading Research to Classroom Practice and Foundations of Mathematics courses. Candidates who successfully complete these courses along with the associated learning tasks and assessments may be eligible for a Continuing License. Visit the Events tab at for more information about when these DPI courses are offered: Reading Research to Classroom Practice (formerly called Reading Foundations) and Foundations of Mathematics.
          • For registration information, follow these steps at
            1. Change the calendar to the month the participant would like to attend the course.
            2. Locate a "Day 1" session.
            3. Click on the Day (it is a link to a PDF which will open with additional information).
            4. Contact the individual listed as lead facilitator via the email listed to find if there are "non-LEA seats" available and to register.
            5. For additional information to address questions or concerns visit


  • Professional Educator's Continuing Licenses are intended for teachers with 3 or more years of teaching experience, and are valid for five years. The Professional Educator's Continuing License is issued to out-of-state teachers who:
    • Are fully licensed in another state
    • Have three or more years of teaching experience
    • Demonstrate evidence of effectiveness by providing evaluation data, including student growth (where applicable) from the state in which the current license is held
    • Meet NC State Board of Education approved licensure exam requirements OR have National Board Certification


How Can I Get a NC Professional Educator's License?

Follow these Steps.


How Can I Apply for Teaching Positions?

There is not a single point of contact for all public school employment in North Carolina. We have 115 Local Education Agencies (LEAs) and more than 160 charter schools, and each is a different employer. The best place to start your search is the Employment web page. Or you can contact (see below) a LEA or a Charter School directly to get employment information. Visit the Recruitment web page to get information on Job Fairs, Beginning Teacher Support Resources, and more.

LEA (school system) contact information, including Personnel Administrators and Principals can be found in EDDIE. Use the LEA Personnel Report (located under the Reports Menu) to obtain contact information for all of the LEAs, or use the Search or Selection boxes to navigate to an individual LEA for their staff information, or to a school for their principal information. For help with LEA or school information, please go to the EDDIE Information page.

Charter school contact information is also in EDDIE, or can be found on the Office of Charter Schools website: Charter School Contacts.



Educational Partners International, LLC (EPI): Designated by the US Dept. of State as a J-1 exchange visitor program sponsor, EPI provides highly-qualified international teachers with the visa sponsorship and support needed to teach critical needs subjects in NC. EPI assists teachers and schools with visa processing, licensure, professional and cultural development, and more. They provide a unique cultural exchange program with emphasis on support.

Participate: Since 1989, the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction has worked with Participate (formerly VIF) to welcome teachers from around the world to our state. Today, hundreds of North Carolina schools host about one thousand Participate international teachers from 48 different countries.

International Teacher Exchange Services: Designated by the U.S. Dept of State (Exchange Visitor Program), ITES sponsors and supports highly-qualified international teachers for critical needs subjects in North Carolina. In addition to being highly effective in their professional field, ITES teachers bring the world directly into our classrooms by sharing their knowledge and cultures with our students.

Global Teaching Partners: Provides the recruitment, placement and ongoing support of K-12 Academic and Cultural Exchange (ACE) teachers that strive to gain experiential knowledge of the U.S., participate actively in cross-cultural activities with schools and communities, while preparing students to be thoughtful and compassionate global citizens.

Regionally Accrediting Agencies / Institutions

For more information, please visit the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

  • SACS - Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools
    • Accredits schools in Alabama (AL), Florida (FL), Georgia (GA), Kentucky (KY), Louisiana (LA), Mississippi (MS), North Carolina (NC), South Carolina (SC), Tennessee (TN), Texas (TX), Virginia (VA)
  • MSCHE - Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
    • Accredits schools in Delaware (DE), District of Columbia (DC), Maryland (MD), New Jersey (NJ), New York (NY), Pensylvania (PA), Puerto Rico (PR), Virgin Islands (VI)
  • NEASC-CIHE - New England Association of Schools & Colleges
    • Accredits schools in Connecticut (CT), Maine (ME), Massachusetts (MA), New Hampshire (NH), Rhode Island (RI), Vermont (VT)
  • NCA-HLC - North Central Association of Schools & Colleges Higher Learning Commision
    • Accredits schools in Arizona (AZ), Arkansas (AR), Colorado (CO), Illinois (IL), Indiana (IN), Iowa (IA), Kansas (KS), Michigan (MI), Minnesota (MN), Missouri (MO), Nebraska (NE), New Mexico (NM), North Dakota (ND), Ohio (OH), Oklahoma (OK), South Dakota (SD), West Virginia (WV), Wisconsin (WI), Wyoming (WY)
  • NWCCU - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
    • Accredits schools in Alaska (AK), Idaho (ID), Montana (MT), Nevada (NV), Oregon (OR), Utah (UT), and Washington (WA)
  • ASC WASC - Western Association of Schools and Colleges
    • Accredits schools in California (CA), Hawaii (HI), Guam, American Samoa, Northern Marianas, Trust Territory of the Pacifica Islands