NORTH CAROLINA'S TOP PRINCIPAL TO BE NAMED THURSDAY
The 2010 Wachovia North Carolina Principal of the Year will be announced on Thursday, April 1, at approximately 1:15 p.m., during a luncheon at the Embassy Suites Hotel, 201 Harrison Oaks Blvd., Cary.
The winner succeeds the 2009 Wachovia North Carolina Principal of the Year Vann Pennell, principal of South Brunswick High School (Brunswick County Schools) and will be selected from this year’s regional principals of the year:
- North Central Region: John Wall, North Garner Middle (Wake County Schools);
- Northeast Region: Dianne Meiggs, Hertford Grammar (Perquimans County Schools);
- Northwest Region: Todd Wirt, Mooresville Senior High (Mooresville Graded Schools);
- Southeast Region: Julie Duclos, Murrayville Elementary (New Hanover County Schools);
- Southwest Region: Kirby Oldham, G.E. Massey Elementary (Lincoln County Schools);
- Sandhills/South Central Region: Renee Jackson, Lake Rim Elementary (Cumberland County Schools);
- Piedmont-Triad/Central Region: Chris Blice, Northwood High (Chatham County Schools); and
- West Region: Jan King, Glenn Marlow Elementary (Henderson County Schools).
The Wachovia Principal of the Year receives a $3,000 check for personal use and/or professional development and a $3,000 check for his or her school to purchase materials or other equipment. They also serve a one-year term as advisor to the State Board of Education.
The Wachovia North Carolina Principal of the Year program is sponsored in partnership with the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the Wachovia Wells Fargo Foundation. In its 26th year, the program provides a unique opportunity to recognize outstanding principals from North Carolina public schools.
For more information, please contact the NCDPI’s Communications division at 919.807.3450.
About the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction:
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction provides leadership to 115 local public school districts and 160 charter schools serving over 1.5 million students in kindergarten through high school graduation. The agency is responsible for all aspects of the state's public school system and works under the direction of the North Carolina State Board of Education.
For more information:
NCDPI Communication and Information Division, 919.807.3450.