To access Quick Links, visit our text-only version.

Troops to Teachers Home 
Program Overview 
Am I Eligible? 
Teacher Education 
Information for Local Education Agencies (LEAs) 
Contact Information 
. Public Schools of North Carolina . . State Board of Education . . Department Of Public Instruction .


New Legislation January 2, 2013:
Recent changes to the legislation governing the Troops to Teachers (TTT) program expand eligibility requirements providing a greater number of military members with access to program benefits!

All current and former members of the U.S. Armed Forces whose last period of service is characterized as honorable may participate in the program for counseling and referral services. Those who meet certain education, military service and registration requirements may also be eligible to apply for TTT financial assistance to assist with their transition to the classroom.

Referral and Placement Assistance
Effective January 2, 2013, Troops to Teachers offices nationwide are now able to provide personalized counseling and referral assistance to all military members, past or present, who have served honorably. Troops to Teachers registration is open to all veterans regardless of time in service who have an interest in education in Pre-K public , Charter, Bureau funded and DoDEA as school teachers, resource teachers and non-instructional positions such as paraprofessionals, teacher’s aides, counselors, psychologists, school nurses, librarians, media specialists, speech therapists, audiologists, physiotherapists, resource officers, school principals, and vice principals.

Registration is open to any veteran whose last period of service is characterized as Honorable with an interest in instructional positions such as teacher or resource teacher or non-instructional positions such as paraprofessional, teacher’s aide, counselor, psychologist, school nurse, librarian, media specialist, speech therapist, audiologist, physiotherapist, resource officer, school principal, or vice principal. Financial assistance is available to eligible participants who are working to become certified teachers in public K-12, schools, charter schools or Bureau of Indian Affairs schools.

NOTE: Former military personnel currently serving as certified teachers may qualify to use the stipend or bonus to seek an additional endorsement, particularly in high need areas such as math, science, and special education.

Individuals receiving financial assistance must agree to teach for three years. Reserve personnel must also commit to continue their reserve service for an additional three years or agree to continue reserve service until eligible for retirement, whichever is less.

Requires 6 good years then Reserve personnel must also commit to continue their reserve service for an additional three years or agree to continue reserve service until eligible for retirement, whichever is less.

Eligibility for Referral and Assistance Program
Active duty personnel, who retired or separated with six or more years of service on or after 1 Oct 90, and current members of the Reserve or Guard with six or more years of creditable service towards retirement, may register for Referral and Placement Assistance and Services. Individuals registering for Referral and Placement Assistance Services must also meet the Educational and Service requirements noted above.

Education Requirements
Elementary or Secondary Education: Baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution at the time of application. Vocational/Technical Education: Associates degree (or minimum of one year of college) and six years of work experience in a vocational or technical field. Eligible for vocational referral and, if applicable, vocational certification expenses only.

Service Requirements
An individual is eligible to participate in the program only if the last period of service was honorable.