The Education Services for the Deaf and Blind (ESDB) manages the administration of the Governor Morehead School for the Blind in Raleigh, the North Carolina School for the Deaf in Morganton, and the Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf in Wilson. The ESDB schools:
- Provide comprehensive individualized educational services for students with visual and auditory impairments to meet the requirements of the North Carolina Standard Course of Study and the Expanded Core Curriculum to prepare for post-secondary education, the world of work, and independent living.
- Partner with the community in the provision of preschool education for students with varying visual and auditory abilities.
- Support local education agencies (LEAs) in meeting the needs of their students who have auditory or visual challenges by utilizing data provided by the LEA as a basis for intensive instruction.
- Provide wrap around services to support student care, safety and student responsibility utilizing residential services as a teaching and learning environment.
- Collaborates with national and state partners to improve instructional practices and develop and utilize high quality, systematic professional development models for teaching students with visual and auditory impairments.