What day does school start/end?
School systems determine the academic calendars individually. NC DPI does not maintain a central list of these. Please contact your school system for more information.

At what age can my child start school?
If the child reaches the age of five years on or before August 31st of the year he/she is presented for enrollment, the child is eligible to enroll. If his fifth birth date falls on or after September 1st, the child is not eligible to enroll. For more information about School Entry Age, please visit the State Board of Education website. Please speak with your school or school system's central office concerning questions about child placement or enrollment instructions/requirements.

I am moving to the area. How do I enroll my child in school?
Enrollment is handled at the local level. Please contact your school district for further details. Visit the N.C. School Report Cards site to look up school and school district contact information.

How do you enroll in a charter school?
Parents must contact each individual school to see if they have openings. If they have more applicants than available slots, an open lottery must be instituted to fill the remaining spots. For a list of schools, please visit For more answers, please see the Charter Schools FAQ.

What are the best schools in North Carolina?
NC DPI does not rank or recommend schools. Decisions should be made through careful research of student performance, atmosphere, activities, location, etc. You are encouraged to visit the N.C. School Report Cards site online. Each report card includes a school or district profile and information about student performance, safe schools, access to technology, and teacher quality. However, the best source of information is the local school system. The state's accountability program does not take into account other factors that may be important to you such as leadership, school environment, breadth of academic offerings, and extracurricular programs.

Where can I find more information about private or home schooling?
The Department of Public Instruction does not oversee private or home schooling. Instead, please contact the Division of Non-Public Education on the Web at or by phone 919.733.4276.


How do I search for jobs in North Carolina's public schools?

To learn about teaching careers in North Carolina please visit:

Educators who need to update or renew their license should visit

Where can I find information about teacher salaries and benefits? Please visit:

Where can I find information about my retirement?
The State Treasurer's Office oversees the retirement program. Please contact them directly with any inquiries


I am a parent and want to learn more about the End-of-Grade or End-of-Course testing process. Where can I find this information?
Visit for an overview of the North Carolina State Testing Program.


What information is contained in the student education record and how may parents and students access it?
How is this information protected and how long is it retained? The answers to these questions may be found in the Student Education Record fact sheet.
(pdf, 222kb)


Who should I contact for my K-12 or GED transcript or a copy of my diploma?
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction does not maintain transcripts or student records. For General Education Diploma (GED) transcripts or information, please call the North Carolina Community College System at 919.807.7100 or you may visit their web site at For information about K-12 public school records, please contact your school system directly. Also, please contact the school district if your school has been closed or consolidated.


What recognition programs are available for educators and administrators?
Teacher of the Year, Wachovia Principal of the Year and Milken National Educators programs honor outstanding and exceptional administrators and educators in our state. To learn more about these programs please visit

Are there standards for professional development?
Yes. The State Board of Education has endorsed the Learning Forward Standards for professional learning to guide professional development at the state and local levels. Additional information regarding these standards is available at:

Where can I find conference info?
Events and conferences that have been submitted for posting are available on our Web site at

Where can I get information about online classes?
Please visit for schools in the UNC system, or for a complete list of approved teacher education programs and contact the individual colleges or universities for their online or distance education information. Also try your local community college -


I am a student looking for information about North Carolina for my school project. Where should I look?
To learn more about our state, visit our Learn About North Carolina page. In addition to public school history and information about our state government, this page contains links to several interesting facts about North Carolina.

I'm preparing for graduation. Where can I go to learn more about selecting a college and paying for my tuition?
The Graduation and Beyond page provides useful links to test preparation, programs and assistance for college and links to higher education.


I'm looking for someone in North Carolina Schools. Can you help?
The Education Directory includes the phone number and address of every North Carolina public, federal or charter school and public school system; the phone number of every employee of the Department of Public Instruction; members of the State Board of Education and the Superintendent; contact information for educational associations and organizations, advisory councils, educational material suppliers and sellers; and a list of all the state and territorial superintendents in the U.S. Please contact the school system for contact information for specific teachers or school employees. NC DPI does not maintain student records, and therefore, we cannot provide you with the contact information for children or relatives in North Carolina schools.

Is there a federal requirement on how we should collect data on race and ethnicity?
Two distinct questions with two distinct responses must be used to collect data about student and staff member race and ethnicity.

The first part should consist of a question about ethnicity:

  • Hispanic or Latino
  • Not Hispanic or Latino
The second part asks to select one or more races from the following categories:
  • American Indian or Alaska Native
  • Asian
  • Black or African American
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
  • White
Answers to both questions are mandatory.